Author of On Rising
How’s your New Year going? If you’re already feeling suffocated by the treadmill that is our chaotic days, I offer this book titled On Rising: Recipes and Rituals for Joyful Mornings by today’s guest, Deborah Johnson.
Reading Deborah’s book was like unwrapping a series of small, beautifully wrapped, delightful gifts. As I turned each page, I didn’t know if I would be greeted with another intriguing recipe, gorgeous image, personal essay, or invitation to rethink my rituals in a way that would, as Deborah says, “take responsibility for my thought life.”
Along with other thought-provoking quotes, Deborah includes this insightful conversation between those great sages, Piglet and Pooh:
“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "What's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.
Throughout the pages of On Rising, Deborah gently - but ever so practically - invites us to create mornings full of Piglet’s peaceful wonder and excitement. Her invitation is so warm, empathetic, and actionable, you’ll find it difficult to turn down!
But also, like Pooh, Deborah recognizes that food can be an essential part of creating Piglet’s mornings full of excitement and wonder. Therefore, she offers us over 50 amazing recipes - many inspired by her Mexican heritage - to nourish ourselves and our loved ones. (And I tagged about 45 to try. 😉
This is a cookbook unlike any other and I’m so thrilled to welcome you to this conversation today with Deborah - which we start by discussing Pooh and Piglet’s conversation 🙂
- Deborah’s mom, one of 12 kids, born at 3lbs, kept in a shoebox who became a physician thanks to her parent’s emphasis on education - despite the discouragement of a school counselor
- The three layers of why Deborah wrote a cookbook - seeking her mother’s pride
- Deborah’s experiences in a close-knit Mexican-American family of over 100.
- Making dinner at 7 years old for an entire high school basketball team!
- The GIFT of giving a child responsibility in the kitchen
- How her parents practiced hospitality.
- How morning ritual rescued Deborah from the hardest time of her life
- The connection between morning ritual and creating a life of intention
- All the different morning rituals Deborah has practiced over the years - begin with the most simple “routine” imaginable
- What does a rising ritual look like for those for whom morning hours are not possible
- An invitation to experiment with a different approach to phones
- Using our margin to repair relationships with others
- Our most unpopular opinions about breakfast 🙂
Listen to Deborah Now
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
Deborah's Storied Recipe
How to Contact Deborah Johnson
Buy On Rising
The Storied Recipe Needs Your Help!
This link will give all review options available on your device. Simply choose any option, click, and leave a review. Thank you!
- 166 Whale, Puffin, Horse and Icelandic Fish Stew with Chef Stefan of Þrír Frakkar
- 156 Lessons from Cameroon with Agatha Achindu, Author of Bountiful Cooking
- 151 How to Create Your OWN Family Cookbook with Sri Bodanapu
- 148 Vanishing Things: Mushrooms, Monsoons, & Cultures with Author Kaveri Ponnapa of The Vanishing Kodavas