When Daniela shared her mother's apple strudel recipe with me, I very nearly panicked. Somewhere, sometime, I just got the idea that strudels were impossible to achieve and easy to fail. Truthfully, this recipe couldn't have been any easier to follow or succeed. (Of course, that's because the real finicky part of making strudels is making the dough. That little trouble just goes away when you use store-bought puff pastry, as Daniela urged me to do!!) And that little shortcut was nice, because I got to spend the vast majority of my time photographing Daniela's exquisite heirloom china pieces from her home country of the Czech Republic. To create photographs of a recipe that is so storied and so cherished, with pieces that are so valued by generations, was truly an honor. The only greater honor was to hear and share her story.
This storied recipe was photographed for and shared by a guest on my podcast. You can hear the associated episode here: Charcuterie Board: A Story of Rejection, Defection, and Redemption
Or listen to Daniela now:
0 from 0 votes
Recipe by Daniela + Guest of The Storied Recipe Podcast
Keep the screen of your device on
2 strudels - 8 slicesPrep time
An authentic Czech dessert of shredded apples, rum soaked raisins, and walnuts in a golden puff pastry, covered with a dusting of powdered sugar.
1 box puff pastry (contains two pastries)
1 lb apples (about 5 medium)
1 tablespoon cinnamon (or to taste)
¼ cup raisins, soaked in rum (or to taste)
¼ cup chopped walnuts (or to taste)
¼ cup powdered sugar
Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel and shred apples.
- Allow the puff pastry dough to defrost in the refrigerator according to package instructions.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on a surface. Sprinkle the parchment paper with flour.
- Unwrap and unroll one puff pastry and lay it flat on the parchment paper. Roll until seams are gone and the pastry is fairly thin. My final dimensions were about 9″x15″.
- Next, you will cover each dough with
- Broken up walnuts (not covered, just kind of sprinkled).
- Cover with shredded apples. Don’t add the juices from the shredded apples.
- Sprinkle with Plain Bread Crumbs (this will help to soak up the juices from the apples so they don’t leak as much).
- Sprinkle with Cinnamon
- Sprinkle with raisins
- Now roll each one up. Squeeze in the sides into the roll so the filling doesn’t fall out. Put on a cookie sheet (you can fit 2 on a sheet), covered with parchment paper.
- Brush with a beaten egg.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 – 35 minutes.
- Brush with an egg halfway through again.
- Serve with sprinkled icing sugar. You can also serve it with vanilla ice cream.
- Make sure you listen to Daniela's episode, Charcuterie Board: A Story of Rejection, Defection, and Redemption while you make her Apple Strudel
Did you make this recipe?
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thestoriedrecipe on Pinterest
Recipe Card plugin by WPZOOM