There I was at my desk, headphone of my ears, interviewing the dynamic, entertaining, gracious, knowledgeable Brenda Wyatt of Camellia's Cottage when I heard the words "candied bacon". Like any good podcast host, I let her finish her thoughts and worked hard to concentrate and stay curious. But in my mind, all I could hear was "candied bacon, candied bacon, candied bacon"! As the interview neared an end, I asked her if she would mind sharing her candied bacon recipe with me and my readers. I was thrilled she said "YES!" This is just like Brenda, by the way, who is very generous with her incredible depth and width of knowledge regarding Southern Cooking.
Just like all of Brenda's recipes, this candied bacon recipe is SPICY. In fact, to be honest, on my first attempt it was a little too spicy for some of us wimps! So watch the cayenne pepper, make twice as much as you think you should, and ENJOY! Oh, and tell me how you like yours - plain, or as a topping on salad, ice cream or something else? Let me know!
Episode Associated With This Recipe
The Storied Recipe, Episode 004, Three Halloween Memories
Listen to Amie, Beverly and Brenda now:
My Experience With This Recipe and Adjustments to My Taste
I burned it the first time. Terribly!! So, two warnings from that experience: First, absolutely positively always use parchment paper. I probably would have had to throw the pans away if I hadn't lined them! Second, be very, very careful as the time approaches 15 minutes. I've had various times work, but at least once, the cooking process has been very, very quick.
Also, this seems like a lot of rub for 5-6 slices. I used this amount of rub for an entire pound, spread over two baking pans, and it was plenty of rub.
Finally, watch that cayenne if you're like me! 😉
Spicy Candied Bacon
5 from 1 vote
Recipe by Brenda Wyatt + Guest of The Storied Recipe Podcast
Difficulty: Easy - But Watch it!
Keep the screen of your device on
The title says it all – this is a spicy-sweet bacon. Coat the bacon with a rub of brown sugar, spices, and pecans, then cook slowly until candied
¾ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon raw sugar or refined
A pinch of cayenne
Cinnamon if desired
½ cup finely chopped pecans
1 -2tsp bourbon, if you dare
- Preheat oven to 350, prepare a baking sheet lined with foil to catch drippings. Put a rack on the baking sheet.
- Lay 5-6 medium thickness bacon slices or more if room!
- Don’t crowd.
- In a bowl mix ¾ light brown sugar, a bit of raw sugar or refined, a pinch of cayenne, cinnamon if desired and about ½ cup of finely chopped pecans and maybe a teaspoon or so of bourbon if you dare! Toss together for a ‘rub’ you may need to mix up more depending on how much bacon you’re making.
- Sprinkle rub over bacon. Pressing to adhere.
- Cook 15-20 minutes. Here’s the tricky part, you need to watch it…the bacon cooks slower this way though before you know it…it’s done!
- Allow to cool on the rack until cool but still warm. Remove to a non stick surface, in a single layer until cool.
- Brenda puts in a plastic container and put waxed or parchment paper between layers! That’s it!
- Tip you may want to prepare 2 baking sheets with racks to save time! If unlined with foil, it’s a pill to remove the sticky drippings
- Make sure to listen to Brenda on The Storied Recipe Podcast, Halloween 2019 – 3 Perspectives while you make her Spicy Candied Bacon recipe!
Did you make this recipe?
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thestoriedrecipe on Pinterest
Recipe Card plugin by WPZOOM