The very best way I can introduce B to you is by sharing what she wrote about her own Storied Recipe, a marbled Brazilian Carrot and Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze:
It was hard for me to pick a recipe, to be honest, because I feel like my baking has grew to be a colorful mix of the places I've lived in - Brazil, the US, and Germany. So I felt like the right thing for me to do was to suggest a recipe that is rooted in my childhood memories, my mom's Brazilian carrot cake with chocolate glaze, but that I made my own through the experiences I've had learning how to bake on my own. The marbling is a really good metaphor to represent the person you become when you live abroad, I find. The flavours work together to form a whole, but are distinct enough to never fully disappear within each other. This is how I see myself at the moment too. Made up of different cultural streams that flow together, for the most part, very harmoniously.
B recently defended her Master’s dissertation (in Germany) about an Italian painter who was instrumental in changing the ways food was depicted in Renaissance artwork. I was lucky enough to get a copy of her dissertation (translated, of course) which was fascinating and made me think about food in ways we’ve never even discussed in over 150 episodes of this podcast!
I enjoyed every moment I spent chatting with B and am so excited to share our conversation with you now - and so thankful that you have joined us today!!!!
First 20 minutes: Conversation about B and my son's common experiences in Germany, the massive shift her life took during Covid, and what to gain from living abroad
20:00 - 1:07:10 Conversation about B's Master's Thesis on shifts in food in art during the Rennaisance, specifically in the Brera cycle of Vincenzo Campi
1:07:10 - end B's life and memories in the amazing city of Florianópolis on a Brazilian island
- Chatting about my son’s first few weeks in Germany and B’s advice for him
- The challenges, difficulties, and benefits of living abroad
- Moving from Brazil -> Germany without knowing a word of German
- The massive shift that took place in B’s life and work during the pandemic and as a result of her mother’s death from Covid
- Comfort baking turned into an entire master’s thesis!
- The shift of food in art to tell a religious story to art with food AS the story
- Why Campi’s paintings of the marketplace hung in the legislatures and what they served to remind public servants
- B’s early and enduring love of art
- B’s mother: physicist-lawner-french literature expert
- Opening her eyes as a child to the sand, sun, and sea
- Lively family dinners where they discussed every topic "warmly"
- How B's caretaker, her aunt, made cakes with her
- About B's Brazilion Carrot and Chocolate Swirl Cake
- Losing her mom so young, going through the process of mourning, finding her mother in herself
- All about Brazilian Carrot Cake and how B adjusted it to her own tastes and life
Listen to B Now
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
B's Storied Recipe: Brazilian Carrot & Chocolate Marbled Cake with Silky Chocolate Glaze
How to Contact B Santos
The Storied Recipe Needs Your Help!
This link will give all review options available on your device. Simply choose any option, click, and leave a review. Thank you!