Stefani is a Bay Area lawyer focusing on how trauma affects communities - and especially youth - of color. Today, she’s telling us all about her Granny Octavia’s refined and elegant teacakes.
Granny Octavia migrated from Louisiana to Richmond, California in the middle of the 20th century. She settled down with her husband, contributed to the war effort (even while the war effort discriminated against other black folks), became a part of a thriving cultural scene, raised kids, and hosted elegant teas and dinner parties.
Stefani spent all day, every day with her Granny and Gramps during her early years, and doing those hours she learned how to cook, how to set the most beautiful table, how to try new things, and that even grandparents are layered, nuanced people with sometimes surprising backgrounds.
- Stefani's work as an attorney supporting youth of color
- Granny Octavia's beauty, talents, and her many hats
- Migrating from the Deep South to Richmond, California
- "My grandmother is a woman!" - the layers and surprises Stefani learned about her grandmother later in life
- Granny Octavia's elaborate dinner parties & Stefani's role as hostess
- All about teacakes
Listen to Stefani Now
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
Stefani's Storied Recipe
- 122 What Makes You Feel Rich? A Conversation with Alicia Akins, Author of Invitations to Abundance
- 097 Curing Land & Restoring Tradition with Afia Amoako, The Canadian Vegan
- 084 Jamaican Chicken Soup with Ashley and Her Mother Precious
- 081 Soul Food, The White House, and Icebox Pie with Adrian Miller, the Soul Food Scholar
Ways to Contact Stefani