Between when Haniyeh and I chatted in July and today's release date (October 6th), she has moved with her husband and small daughter to Berlin, Germany. When she left Iran a decade ago, she thought she was going abroad for a year. The plan was to earn a Masters in Photography in Strasburg, France, then to return to her homeland. Instead, she fell in love, married, and moved 6 times over the following 10 years - and when she looks at the facts, she knows it is not her destiny to settle anytime soon. All this moving, adjusting, and learning new languages has given Haniyeh a strength and perspective that few of us can claim. Most significantly for me personally, Haniyeh challenges me to reconsider and redefine the word “home”. For Haniyeh, home is a collection of mindfully chosen things, both immaterial and material. And of course, I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear that food holds a significant role in this curation, including the smoked eggplant dish she discusses from the place of her happiest memories, the North of Iran.
- "It CAN be ok"
- Iran to France to Boston to Berkely to Manchester to Exeter to Berlin. 10 years. 3 languages (and 2 versions of English!)
- "I was living in the past, then I was living in the future"
- Golden nights playing in the streets and dancing in traffic jams
- "I can talk about my life in a way that would make you envy it, or I could talk about my life in a way that you would never want to live it."
- Lighting eggplants on fire to make this dish
Listen to Haniyeh Now
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
Haniyeh's Storied Recipe
How to Contact Haniyeh