Hello readers!! Thanks for tuning in today! I’m going to keep this introduction brief because I just can’t wait for you to hear from Fatima, of the popular blog “Hummus Meets Pizza” and one of the most courageously independent and optimistic women I know.
Fatima was born in Lebanon, not in the urban center of Beirut, but in a small rural town containing Roman ruins, produce markets where her father sold the vegetables Fatima helped picked at 4am every morning, and bakeries making Safiha, the delicious open-faced Lamb pies Fatima shares with us.
At 16 years old, Fatima came to live in the U.S. for 5 years. She returned to Lebanon at 21, very much a changed woman, and found she no longer fit into the beloved small town where her family has lived for hundreds of years.
What I admire most about Fatima is this: While her circumstances easily could have led her to conclude she was alone, driftless, and cultureless, she instead chose to to love and embrace the best in both cultures, Lebanese and American.
She has chosen New York City as her home. There, she lives a free life where she celebrates her Lebanese heritage, her family’s love, their frugality, and open-mindedness by creating for herself a “slow life in a big city.” And yes, food plays a big part in every facet of that celebration.
For me, Fatima’s words remind us that we can speak truth boldy while embracing nuance and loving & respecting those with different opinions.
- The ancient Roman city of Baalbek, beautiful like Tuscany Italy
- Mutual respect for religions in a city 80% Muslim, 20% Christian
- Her father’s open-minded attitude towards women
- The limitations on women in her home culture
- How to replicate a bakery in Lebanon when making Safiha – meat pies
- Green onions, radishes, and tomatoes, lemon juice
- Picking from the garden every morning at 4:30am
- What is “the good life”?
- Is cooking a symbol of repression for women?
- Her moniker – “Hummus Meets Pizza”
Listen to Guest Now
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
GUEST'S Storied Recipe
More Episodes with Middle Eastern Guests
More Middle Eastern Recipes
How To Contact Fatima