Welcome to The Storied Recipe, a podcast about food, culture, and love! This recipe for Vegan Frosted Cookies comes from community member Carol Clayton, as part of her Vegan Holiday e-Cookbook! Tune into the Christmas Around the World podcast series while you make Carol's perfect vegan sugar cookies for Christmas!
What makes the perfect Christmas Vegan Cookies? Tender, buttery, thick, lots of surface area for soft, sweet buttercream frosting. Carol's recipe for the Best Vegan Frosted Cookies hits all these notes. It's the perfect plant-based cookie recipe for all your holiday baking, including with kids.
Use this Vegan Sugar Cookie Recipe for birthday parties, baby showers, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day or any other time of the year! Check below for some specific flavoring and decorating ideas!
P.S. You may also like these No Chill No Spread Cutout Sugar Cookies or 47 Traditional Christmas Desserts Around the World.
About Carol Clayton of Carol's Vegan Kitchen
Carol is passionate about sharing outstanding vegan recipes that capture the best of each season. Her mission is simply to Feed People Plants. She loves working closely with small local farms to source ingredients for her recipes, host culinary events, and promote a sustainable field-to-fork lifestyle. She truly feels that what we eat is one of the most powerful choices we can make.
Follow @carolsvegankitchen on Instagram
Carol's Vegan Holiday E-Cookbook
In addition to these Vegan Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies, Carol has combined her experience and expertise to create over 22 recipes for your holiday season from Thanksgiving to Twelfth Night!
Classic Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Vegan butter sticks
- Egg replacer (Carol prefers Bob’s Red Mill Egg)
- Fine sea salt
- Baking powder (I strongly recommend Rumford's)
- Vegan butter
- Powdered sugar
- Almond extract
Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- Powdered sugar
- Vegan butter,
- Vanilla extract
- Food coloring (gels will create deeper colors)
All it takes to make these soft sugar cookies is a few simple steps. This is a classic holiday baking project for you can enjoy with your kids, using no animal products.
Make Vegan Sugar Cookie Dough
- Make the vegan egg.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer in a large bowl, cream the butter on medium speed until soft and smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and almond extract and continue to mix.
- Mix in the egg replacer. The creamed butter and sugar will “break” - This is totally normal. Don’t worry, the dough will come together beautifully as you add the flour.
- Add the flour in 3 parts
Freeze Now OR Roll Out Cookies
- Divide the dough in half.
- Lightly sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll out one disc of dough.
- Cut out the cookies- Use cookie cutters to shape the cookies. Place on baking tray covered with piece of parchment paper.
- Press the scraps into a tidy disk and reroll the dough to make more cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. They will look soft and slightly underdone at first but will cool to the perfect texture.
- No need for a wire rack - cool on baking sheet.
Make the Frosting
- Cream the butter.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar at low speed. Finish by mixing in the vanilla.
- Divide - Use one small bowl per frosting color.
- Use a butter knife to generously swirl vegan buttercream frosting onto cookies.
Decorating Tips & Ideas
Carol's recipe makes the Best Sugar Cookies for any special occasion! Here are a few tips on flavoring and decorating for various events and holidays.
- Vegan Eggless Royal Icing - most polished idea, also great make-ahead. You'll need a piping bag and tips for this route, but it's very elegant! And FUN!!
- Baby Showers: Blue or Pink Frosting with white accents. Love this baby cookie cutter collection.
- Valentine's Day: Hearts with red and hot pink frosting. These icing gels will give you deeper colors than the cheap liquid food coloring from grocery store.
- Christmas Cookies: Add up to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg to the dough. This is time to go all out with the sprinkles!!!! Try this pack; its my favorite!
- Easter: Consider adding a little lemon zest to the dough for a spring zing. Pastels and cutesy non-pareils.
- Birthday parties: Two words: RAINBOW SPRINKLES!! Add to the dough or sprinkle on top of the icing
Storage & Freezing
- Airtight container on counter or covered with plastic wrap
- Freeze dough balls wrapped in plastic wrap in Ziploc bags OR bake and freeze before frosting
More Vegan Recipes Around the World
Christmas Desserts from Around the World
- Traditional Mincemeat Tarts 3 Ways (British Christmas Pies)
- How to Make Povitica Bread with Walnut Cinnamon Swirl
- Zabaglione (Zabaione): Easy Italian Custard With Eggs
- Chocolate Covered Rich Buttery Toffee
- South African Peppermint Crisp Tart
- Easy Christmas Truffles: Chocolate Mint Balls from Norway
- Turrón de Jijona (No Cook Spanish Soft Almond Nougat)
- Ghraybeh Cookies: Middle Eastern Shortbread-Butter Cookie