On one of our regular Friday afternoon trips to the library, a particular book caught my eye. I first noticed the rich, colorful, and intricately detailed painting on the cover. The title of the book, Grandpa Cacao, was printed over an image of a strong and loving grandfather smiling down at a little girl holding a chocolate bar.
After we returned home, I was delighted to read to Grandpa Cacao to my sons. The book is the story of a little girl baking a chocolate cake with her father. Through this act, the child is connected across generations, seasons, and continents to her grandfather in the Ivory Coast.
I’m incredibly honored to have as my guest Liz Zunon, the author and illustrator of this beautiful book, as my guest today.
- Liz talks about the little girl in the story and her connection to her Ivorian grandfather
- Liz educates us on cacao farming in the Ivory Coast
- Why fair trade chocolate?
- Chocolate is not candy" - an explanation
- Memories of her eating mother's Gateau de Chocolate and her father's Riz au Gras
- Creating a "visual language" to tell a story through illustration
- The techniques Liz used to illustrate Grandpa Cacao
Listen to GUEST'S NAME
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
Liz's Storied Recipes
Chocolate Celebration Cake
This super simple Chocolate Celebration Cake is pure chocolate bliss. Infused with deep cocoa flavors, this is a dense and rich cake for any birthday, anniversary, or simply a desire to treat yourself.
Riz au Gras
This savory West African dish combines fragrant rice, tender meat, and a medley of flavorful spices, resulting in a comforting and satisfying meal that will transport your taste buds to new heights. Don't miss the chance to experience the rich flavors and cultural heritage of this mouthwatering dish – it's a true feast for the senses!
- Slavic Folk Tales & Childhood Memories in The Bone Roots with Gabriela Houston
- 151 How to Create Your OWN Family Cookbook with Sri Bodanapu
- 149 Mythology, History, and Irish Stew with Shauna Lawless, Author of The Children of Gods and Fighting Men
- 148 Vanishing Things: Mushrooms, Monsoons, & Cultures with Author Kaveri Ponnapa of The Vanishing Kodavas