Last Wednesday, I hopped on the phone with Turner and Ariane, co-owners of Vegetable and Butcher, a prepared meal delivery service with a focus on plant forward foods for intentional eaters. At every turn of our conversation, I was surprised and delighted by how deeply personal these business owners were willing to be with me - so quick to show their human sides and vulnerabilities about business ownership in this current crisis. They particularly struck a sympathetic chord in me when they shared how difficult it is to make decisions that MUST be made immediately while knowing that the information at hand is insufficient. And when I asked them to share a particularly gut-wrenching decision, their response astounded me and earned my deep respect.
- How their need led to their mission
- Returning loyalty and support to their employees in this crisis
- Why a delivery business needs customer support more than ever
- Working with customers to ease financial concerns
- The contactless delivery process
- Why PTO for all employees
- Donating meals to GW Hospital and participating in the community
Listen to Turner & Ariane of Vegetable & Butcher
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
How To Find and Follow Vegetable & Butcher
Information for Number 1 Sons, mentioned in this episode (as well as in Fresh Farm's Episode)
About the Carryout in COVID Series
Of all the conflicting information we’re receiving these days, I’m having the most difficulty reconciling the call to support small, local businesses with the command to stay home as much as possible. Can I support small restaurants without contributing to the spread of the virus? I felt the best way to answer this question was to hear the stories of businesses in crisis and ask THEM my questions. A variety of guests including owners, farmers, and journalists, are participating in this series, so make sure you check back to get a new perspective each day.
More "Carryout in Covid" Episodes
- 033 Carryout in COVID: Connecting Communities with Fresh Farms
- 032 Carryout in COVID : "Order Delivery and Tip Well" with Restraunteur Josh Sapienza
- 031 Carryout in COVID Series: Pivoting, Partnering, Providing with Emma Jagoz of Moon Valley Farms
- 030 Carryout in COVID: Howie Kahn "Eating is Complicated Right Now"