"Eating is complicated right now." What does it say about our current state of affairs that I felt dangerously close to tears at this simple, validating statement from today's guest, Howie Kahn? For 20 years, the hospitality community gave journalist, author, and podcaster Howie Kahn delicious food, career success (you know, just a podcast that hit #1 on the food charts in iTunes), friendships, and even a wife. When this crisis hit, Howie and his wife knew it was time to support the people and restaurants that had given them so much. So Howie started an emergency podcast titled Takeaway Only. Every day, he is telling the stories of not only an industry in crisis, but a community that has mobilized to do truly noble and heroic work. From his knowledge of the industry that is as wide as it is deep, Howie provided me with exactly the clarity that I sought. He gives all of us clear, actionable advice when evaluating our food choices.
- The impact the hospitality industry has had on Howie
- What's happening with 12-15 million restaurant workers?
- The importance of communication between restaurants and guests right now
- "Food is complicated right now" - How to evaluate our choices
- Howie's latest emergency podcast "Takeaway Only"
- Some of the inspiring, noble, heroic work restaurant owners are doing
- The importance and the work of being a listener
Listen to Brandon Now
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
How To Find and Follow Fish Scale Restaurant
Address: 637 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
Website: FishScale Restaurant
About the Carryout in COVID Series
Of all the conflicting information we’re receiving these days, I’m having the most difficulty reconciling the call to support small, local businesses with the command to stay home as much as possible. Can I support small restaurants without contributing to the spread of the virus? I felt the best way to answer this question was to hear the stories of businesses in crisis and ask THEM my questions. A variety of guests including owners, farmers, and journalists, are participating in this series, so make sure you check back to get a new perspective each day.
More "Carryout in Covid" Episodes
- 034 Carryout in COVID One Decision That Changed Everything with Vegetable & Butcher
- 033 Carryout in COVID: Connecting Communities with Fresh Farms
- 032 Carryout in COVID : "Order Delivery and Tip Well" with Restraunteur Josh Sapienza
- 031 Carryout in COVID Series: Pivoting, Partnering, Providing with Emma Jagoz of Moon Valley Farms