A question for you - What did your heritage give you? How does the legacy of your parents - your grandparents keep you afloat through life’s struggles?
For today’s guest, the answer was immediate: Dorina’s parents and grandparents taught her the value of hospitality.
Over a decade ago, Dorina Gilmore-Young wrote Cora Cooks Pancit - a celebration of heritage, Filipino culture, the dinner table and hospitality. The book, illustrated by Kristi Valiant, won Picture Book of the Year from the Asian American Association and a dozen years later, the book is incredibly now in its 8th printing!
Over those 12 years, Dorina ventured into non-profit work and wrote more books, all while practicing hospitality.
Then, the unthinkable happened. Dorina was widowed as a young mother to girls, just 2, 6, and 8 years old.
The value of hospitality and the family table deepened and became richer as mealtimes were the times where Dorina’s community showed up to comfort her and when she grieved with her young daughters.
Dorina has remarried and now works with her husband to raise their young girls, to coach runners, and - yes - she’s written another book with her him. Through these massive life changes, Dorina continues to welcome others to her table where she has learned to embrace not only laughter but also to share tears and difficult stories
- Discussing "Cora Cooks Pancit", Picture Book of the Year in 2010 from the Asian-American Association
- Preserving the recipe AND the experience of making Pancit
- The author-illustrator collaboration process
- Why a noodle dish?
- Code-switching as a multi-racial child/adult
- A legacy of hospitality
- Food, God, cooking, light, worship, & solitude
- Food and eating as a runner
Listen to Guest Now
Follow The Storied Recipe in Your Favorite Player
GUEST'S Storied Recipe
- 155 Slavic Folk Tales & Childhood Memories in The Bone Roots with Gabriela Houston
- 151 How to Create Your OWN Family Cookbook with Sri Bodanapu
- 149 Mythology, History, and Irish Stew with Shauna Lawless, Author of The Children of Gods and Fighting Men
- 148 Vanishing Things: Mushrooms, Monsoons, & Cultures with Author Kaveri Ponnapa of The Vanishing Kodavas
Related Southeast Asian & Oceania Recipes
How To Contact Dorina
Dorina's Latest Book: Walk Run Soar